0161 764 8552 admin@bankfield.org


Will they have to sell their home to pay for care?

If your relative has capital of over £23,250 will they not qualify for assistance from the Local Authority until such a time as there capital is below this amount. Any private care fees will therefore have to be met from existing capital and income. (If they have assets below £23,250, they would get increasing help on a sliding scale down to the lower limit of £14,250, where no contribution is needed).Most savings and assets are included in a means test, but some confusion has surrounded the subject of whether or not a person’s home is included. To help clarify the situation, a person’s home is not included in the means test if:

  • a child under 16 lives in the property;
  • they’re in the first 12 weeks of needing permanent care;
  • care is being provided on a temporary basis.
  • your parent still resides in the home;
  • a relative over 60 resides in the house;
  • a disabled relative lives at the property;

The 12-week property disregard
As mentioned above, a persons’ property is excluded from the means test for the first 12 weeks following admission to a care home (once a permanent contract is established). This means that if their remaining capital falls inside the current threshold, then the local authority should assist you with the payment of your care fees.

It is worth noting that they will in most cases only pay up to their published limits, which could leave a family with what is known as a “third-party top up”, to cover any difference in actual care fees and the local authority contribution.

The money paid out by the local authority during the first 12 weeks is not normally repayable.

Deferred Payment Agreement (Government Loan Scheme)
If, after the first 12 weeks, the property has not been sold, the local authority can continue to pay towards the care fees, under the “deferred payment agreement”, but this money is repayable once the property is sold.

Advocacy Services

An Advocate is someone who can support or represent you when dealing with everyday problems or in times of crisis.
For example an advocate can act for you or provide information and support where:
– you wish to lodge a complaint
– you are involved in a safeguarding issue
– you need assistance in financial matters

The advocate will explain your rights and advise on the best way of proceeding. They will liaise on your behalf with the Health Authority, with Social Services or any other organisations.

If you feel that you require the services of an advocate or wish to learn more then you should contact Advocacy Experience.